Thursday, December 21, 2006

That Guy

Music: Damien Rice, "Me, My Yoke and I," 9

My brother got me tickets for the Damien Rice show her for Christmas. It was a very good show. Mr. Rice was better than I thought he'd be live. Some highlights included "Rootless Tree" (the Music of the Day for Deja Ecrit last week), which was performed first as a solo, piano song. It was beatiful, but I was looking forward to hearing a more uptempo version since it is such an uptempo song. "Me, My Yoke and I" was probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. But, WOW, was it good live. The intensity doesn't come through on the album like it does live. Another highlight was when Rice played "Eskimo Friend." He actually played without the aid of a microphone or a receiver until the song hit its creshendo. Just used the acoustics of the beautiful Orpheum Theater. It was very good.

Athlete: Troy Williamson, Track Star/Ball Dropper, Minnesota Vikings

This guy can't catch. And he was drafted 7th overall as a WIDE RECEIVER--otherwise known as football players that are supposed to catch the effing ball. It's not that he can't catch as much as he has zero body control. He can make no adjustments. It is nothing short of comical to watch him try to catch a deep ball. Hilarious.

Now, getting to That Guy...

The concert was great--except for ONE thing. The HUGE douchebag kept catcalling at the most inappropriate times. I hate catcalling at concerts to start with, but I can tolerate them when they occur when everyone else is applauding. However, catcalling DURING A SONG WHEN YOU COULD OTHERWISE HEAR A PIN DROP is nothing short of pure jackassery. I seriously wanted to punch him right in the crotch. There was an awful exhange between That Guy and, well, everyone there:

Damien Rice: (trying to talk to the crowd)
That Guy: YOU ROCK DAMIEN!!!
Crowd: (Laughs)
Rice: (smirks, tries to start talking again)
That Guy: YOU DO!!!
Brother: Shut the FUCK up!
Crowd: (uneasy chuckling)
Rice: (somewhat annoyed, tries to start talking again)
That Guy: OWWWW!!
Crowd: (uneasy silence)
Rice: (debating whether to try to talk again)

It was brutal. At some point, don't you have to take a look at yourself and ask, "Am I that guy?" If the answer is yes, or even if there is any doubt in your mind, you should stop what it is you are doing. Just stop. Right there.

Don't be That Guy.

No comments: